Wednesday 13 August 2014

Accidentally Vegan Food

There is actually a surprising amount of food that is "accidentally vegan" - i.e. foods made without the vegan market in mind, but, by happy mistake, we can eat (horray!).
Of course, there is the dairy free chocolate (I'm yet to find one that convinces me), and dairy free fudge (again, not particularly delicious), but once in a while, usually whilst strolling through the supermarket, lazily scanning the frankly alarmingly long list of ingredients on the backs of packets, you stumble across a real gem - here are the first few I've discovered! 

1. Jammy Dodgers - I was AMAZED to discover these were vegan, and promptly threw three packets into mum's trolley.  They just taste so good! They don't contain any milk, butter or eggs (which, on closer consideration may be slightly alarming - these 3 crucial ingredients make biscuits after all?!) But who the hell cares? Every so often I throw caution to the wind and treat myself to a biccy or 5
2. Co-Op Bourbon biscuits - A slightly controversial find, as these may contain milk, but I often find this is just companies covering their arses in the unlikely event of someone keeling over from eating something they may be allergic to (much like every single product you find saying "may contain nuts"). Anyway, perfect dipped in coffee (decaff with soya milk, of course), and a chocolate fix for my inner fatty!
3. Coco Powder - Slightly odd and random, but a surprise none the less. This especially handy when it comes to baking.
4. Peanut Butter - Probably obviously vegan to the vast majority of people, I was shocked to find out this was vegan (I idiotically assumed it contained butter!). It brightens up dry, boring toast, and gives me energy and those extra calories! Ironically enough, I've spent years trying to reign in my calorie intake, but these past few months I've been trying get a few more calories into myself. The thing about most vegan food, is that it is boring to eat, therefore, you don't eat a lot of it, so naturally, you loose a few pounds. But sometimes you notice that you're running out of energy. Peanut butter is high in calories and the "good" kind of fat (if such a thing exists - I am truly skeptical).
5. Starbucks - most of the starbucks menu can be made suitable for vegans. Typically, I ask for soya milk and no cream. As long as you avoid a handful of drinks that contain milk powder (for example, Pumpkin Spice Latte) and the caramel sauce, you're good to go!

What accidentally vega food have you come across? I'd love to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment