Friday 29 August 2014

Vegan's Guide to Surviving a Festival

So I braved Reading Festival last weekend, and am pleased to report that I survived!
I was a little nervous about going, not least because of the alarming thought of drinking for 4 days with very little food. However, it was a great weekend, and I didn't struggle on the food front at all - here's how I survived....

1) Holland and Barrat Strawberry Jam Flapjacks - these little beauties were perfect! One of these in the morning was just what I needed. High in calories and sugar, and it doesn't matter if (like me) you packed them at the bottom of your rucksack, as they taste just the same squashed!
2) Chips - Buying hot food at a festival is daylight robbery (don't even get me started on the price of a 500ml bottle of water - £2.20?!?). However, by saturday, I bit the bullet and indulged in chunky chips. £3 for a fairly large portion, and they certainly hit the spot.
3) Pringles - these genius inventions are mostly vegan (all but cheese and onion, for obvious reasons). Brilliant because the can doesn't get squashed, and, once you've eaten the whole can in one go, at 4am, after throwing some shapes at the silent disco for the last 3 hours, use the can as a music speaker...
4) Berroca - for recovering from said silent disco
5) Water bottles - don't do what some of our friends did, and buy £8 worth of water from tescos, and realise you can't carry said water for the approximately 32 mile trek (I jest, but nothing prepares you for the walk)... and have to ditch the water, thus arriving at your camp site without any water, or more importantly, any water containers. Don't try and carry water there! Just take empty water bottles, so you can fill them up at the numerous water points at the festival.
6) Alcohol - no explanation needed
7) Tinned Spaghetti - not my suggestion, but my friend brought tins of food to eat cold. Personally, I could never stomach cold spaghetti hoops/beans, but if you can a) well done and b) do it. Obviously, make sure the cans have ring-pulls and take some cutlery (or even better, plastic forks)
8) Pot Noodle - Some of them are vegan (the sweet and sour one is my favourite), and you can buy boiling water there (I believe its 30p)

That's how I survived Reading festival - have you been to a festival? I'd love to know how you survived!

No comments:

Post a Comment