Friday 14 November 2014

Vegan Chocolate Cake

This post is inspired by the fact I just failed by driving test (boo) and am looking to eat my feelings of frustration to a very rude driver who decided, as I was coming along the road, to pull out from behind parked cars (on her side of the road) and cause me to fail (apparently, for not anticipating this nutcase was going to engage in this act of stupidity). Anyway, I digress.

I've tried this recipe many times, and have tweaked it to, in my opinion at least, perfection. My non-vegan family love these almost as much as I do, though today, I intend to eat the whole batch in one sitting, while watching Jeremy Kyle re-runs... (sixth form can, quite frankly, do one today)

Ingredients:
200g Self-Raising Flour
200g Caster Sugar
4 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
5 Tablespoons Oil ( - vegetable or olive)
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Tablespoon Coffee Granules (dissolved in a tiny bit of hot water)
250ml Water

1. Preheat oven to 180, line a cake tin (I use a square one) with baking paper. The way I do this is by running the paper under water and scrunching it up into a ball. This way, when you flatten it out into the tin, it fits better into it.
2. Quite simply, mix everything together until smooth.
3. Bake for about 40 minutes - leave it slightly longer if you want a traditional cake, about 40 minutes leaves it very moist, which I prefer.
4. Leave to cool before cutting into squares.

On a side note, it is very easy to make vegan butter cream - simply mixing soya butter with double the amount of icing sugar, and adding melted dark chocolate or cocoa powder to make it chocolate flavoured. Whack some of that on top of the cake, and you'll be winning.

What is your go-to vegan chocolate cake recipe? I'd love to know!


No comments:

Post a Comment